While it is commonly known that orthodontists provide treatments such as braces and Invisalign aligners, it is important to note that these professionals possess a wide range of skills to treat a variety of ailments. For instance, Dr. Yael Frydman and other orthodontists at Dental Partners of Boston offer treatments for the following issues.
Orthodontists are trained to correct misaligned teeth through a variety of treatments, including:
- Braces: The most common orthodontic treatment, braces consist of brackets and wires that are attached to the teeth and used to apply gentle pressure to move them into the correct position over time.
- Clear aligners: A more discreet alternative to traditional braces, clear aligners like Invisalign are clear plastic trays that fit over the teeth and gradually shift them into the correct position.
- Retainers: After braces or clear aligner treatment, a retainer may be used to help maintain the new position of the teeth.
- Space maintainers: In cases where baby teeth are lost prematurely, a space maintainer may be used to keep the space open for the adult tooth to come in properly.
- Palatal expanders: These are devices used to widen the upper jaw in cases where the jaw is too narrow for the teeth to fit properly.
Our orthodontist, Dr. Frydman, will assess each patient’s specific needs and create a customized treatment plan to achieve optimal results. Treatment time can vary depending on the severity of the misalignment, but most patients achieve their desired outcome within 1-3 years.
Gaps Between Teeth
If you are seeking treatment for wide gaps between your teeth, Dr. Frydman has a variety of treatment options including:
- Braces: Traditional metal braces can be used to close gaps between teeth by applying gentle pressure to move the teeth closer together over time.
- Invisalign: Clear aligners like Invisalign can also be used to close gaps between teeth, offering a more discreet option than traditional braces.
- Dental bonding: Orthodontists can also use a tooth-colored resin material to fill in small gaps between teeth, improving their appearance.
- Porcelain veneers: For larger gaps or more severe cosmetic issues, Dr. Frydman may recommend porcelain veneers, which are thin shells that are custom-made to fit over the front of the teeth and improve their appearance.
Ultimately, the best treatment option will depend on the individual’s specific needs and goals, as well as the severity of the gap between the teeth. Dr. Frydman can help determine the most effective treatment approach.
Overbite and Underbite
Dr, Frydman can use various techniques to fix an overbite or underbite, depending on the severity of the misalignment. Some common treatment options include:
- Braces: Traditional metal braces can be used to gradually move the teeth into the correct position, correcting the overbite or underbite over time.
- Headgear: In more severe cases, headgear may be used to correct the positioning of the jaw and teeth.
- Palatal expanders: A palatal expander is a device that widens the upper jaw to create more space and help align the teeth and jaw correctly.
- Surgery: In rare cases, orthognathic surgery may be required to correct the position of the jaw and teeth.
The appropriate treatment approach will depend on the individual’s age, the severity of the overbite or underbite, and other factors such as the presence of any other dental or orthodontic issues.
Speech Improvements & Heath of Teeth
In some cases, speech difficulty can be caused by misaligned teeth or jaw. Dr. Frydman can correct the misalignment and improve speech through various treatments such as:
- Braces: Braces can correct misaligned teeth, which can in turn improve speech.
- Jaw surgery: In cases where the misalignment is due to a problem with the jaw, orthognathic surgery may be required to correct the issue.
- Speech therapy: In addition to orthodontic treatment, speech therapy may also be recommended to help address any underlying speech issues.
- Palatal expanders: Palatal expanders can also be used to widen the upper jaw and create more space, which can improve speech.
- Orthodontic appliances: Other orthodontic appliances such as retainers or functional appliances may be recommended to address speech difficulties caused by misalignment.
It’s important to note that not all speech difficulties are related to dental or orthodontic issues. If speech difficulties persist despite treatments, it may be necessary to consult with a speech therapist or other healthcare provider to identify and address the underlying cause of the issue.
Trauma from Accidents
Orthodontists like Dr. Frydman can address some issues related to teeth that have experienced trauma, such as fractures, chips, or dislodged teeth. Treatment options for these types of dental injuries may include:
- Dental Bonding: Orthodontists can use a tooth-colored resin material to bond to the damaged tooth and reshape it to restore its appearance and function.
- Veneers: In cases where the damage is more extensive, porcelain veneers may be recommended to cover the damaged tooth and restore its appearance.
- Crowns: For severely damaged or broken teeth, a crown may be necessary to restore the tooth’s strength and appearance.
- Root canal therapy: If the tooth has been severely damaged, it may require root canal therapy to remove the damaged tissue and prevent further decay or infection.
It’s important to seek prompt dental care after any traumatic injury to the teeth to minimize the risk of further damage or complications. Your orthodontist will evaluate the extent of the damage and recommend the appropriate treatment to restore the function and appearance of the affected tooth.
In summary, orthodontist Dr. Frydman is a highly skilled dental professional who possesses extensive knowledge of dentistry and orthodontics. With her expertise in these fields, she is capable of offering comprehensive treatments that can address a wide range of dental issues, resulting in fully corrected smiles. Dr. Frydman is dedicated to providing personalized care to each of her patients, and takes pride in helping them achieve their dental goals. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Frydman, please contact us today.