Most dentists in Boston will offer you the option to undergo sedation dentistry when visiting their office. Even for regularly scheduled cleanings, sedation dentistry is a great option for those of you out there who really don’t enjoy visiting the dentist.
You’re not alone if the thought of going to the dentist makes you scared, your whole body tense with trepidation, and you’re willing to deal with hurting teeth rather than visit your dentist. Plenty of people across America suffer from this fear – and sedation dentistry is the key to alleviating it.
A good Boston dentist like Dental Partners of Boston will use sedation dentistry for the following reasons:
- Sedation dentistry makes your dentist office visit pleasant. Any level of sedation will ease your worries about a dental visit, but there are four levels that a dentist will use, depending on the procedure.
- Minimal sedation. This is most commonly achieved by the administration of laughing gas. You feel relaxed, at ease, and comfortable, instead of clenched with fear.
- Moderation sedation. You may fall asleep when given moderate sedation, as it’s often administered through the use of anti-anxiety medication such as Valium. You also may not remember most of the procedure when it’s finished.
- Deep sedation. This level of sedation puts you right on the edge of falling asleep, and you’ll remember none of the procedure when this level of sedation is used.
- General anesthesia. Often used in surgery, this level of sedation knocks you right out into unconsciousness.
- Sedation dentistry helps you stay still. How often have you watched the scene in a movie where an unruly child kicks the dentist, or worse – stabs the dentist with the Novocain needle! Believe it or not, the inability to stay still during dental procedures isn’t limited solely to children. Adults can struggle with this, and sedation dentistry offers a solution to the problem.
- Reduces fear and anxiety. The best part about using sedation during any dental procedure is that it rids your mind of all fear and anxiety over the procedure. Your dentist is able to easily and quickly accomplish their tasks – even if it’s just a routine cleaning – while you’re left feeling relaxed and happy, instead of filled with dread at the thought of yet another dentist visit.
If your fear of dental procedures is keeping you from receiving the dental care that you need, then you should seriously consider sedation dentistry. Call Dental Partners of Boston about it today, or contact us online.