HAVE YOU EVER HEARD a loud popping or clicking noise coming from your jaw? Do you ever feel pain in your jaw area or around your ear? Have you ever experienced your jaw locking or discomfort while chewing? If you answered yes to any of these it is quite possible that you are experiencing TMD (temporomandibular joint dysfunctions).
We Can Evaluate Your Bite To Find The Cause
Before we can know for sure if you have TMD, our team will run a series of tests to discover what kind of TMD you have and how to go about treating it. At Dental Partners of Boston we take pride in being very thorough and as our patient, you can probably expect to see the following when getting examined:
- We’ll have you tell us about discomfort or any symptoms you have been having
- We’ll test the range of motion of your jaw
- We’ll also listen for any popping or clicking
- We can narrow down areas of pain by touching certain areas of the jaw and face
- If serious enough, we will administer an X-ray, CT scan, or MRI to make sure we know exactly what we are working with
How We Treat It Depends On What Causes It
There are a variety of ways to treat problems with your jaw. If you’re grinding your teeth at night, we can create a custom-fit night guard to relax your jaw while you sleep. If the disorder is due to malocclusion, it may be best treated with some orthodontic treatment. In many cases, your discomfort can be helped with some quick changes, or some exercises.
In any case, our team of diverse specialists can find the cause of your pain, and help you find a solution. Let us know if you’re experiencing any pain or discomfort, and we’ll do all we can to help you out.