NOW THAT YOU’VE GONE THROUGH the time and cost of a smile makeover, how do you make sure that your teeth look just as beautiful next year? And the next? Here at Dental Partners of Boston, we want to make sure that your smile stays healthy and beautiful, so here are some maintenance tips:
Bonding: Watch What You Eat
- Bonds ARE softer than your usual teeth, so don’t use your teeth as tools, and be wary of foods like popcorn kernels and hard candy.
- Bonds have a tendency to stain, so rinse out your mouth after having berries, red wine, coffee, or tea.
Crowns: Maintain Them Just Like Your Natural Teeth
- Brush and floss.
- Keep your regular checkups so that we can make sure there are no complications.
- Sometimes whitening will make your teeth temporarily sensitive. Use a fluoridated toothpaste to harden the enamel and protect your teeth.
- For a few days after whitening, your teeth are especially sensitive to stains. So avoid those same staining foods that we warned you about with bonding.
Veneers: Look Out For Alcohol And Abrasives
- At your regular appointments, we specially clean your veneers. We can also professionally polish them to maintain their beautiful shine.
- Look for special toothpaste for veneers, such as Supersmile and Rembrandt, and avoid whitening toothpaste with abrasives.
- If you clench or grind your teeth at night, talk to us about getting a night guard to protect your teeth and your veneers.
- Beware of alcohol: it’s been shown to dissolve the bonding material fusing the veneer and your tooth. So moderate your alcohol consumption and avoid alcohol-based mouthwashes.
Orthodontics: Retain Your Retainer
- Keep your retainer clean by brushing and soaking it.
- Take your retainer out to eat, and store it in its case so it doesn’t bend or crack.
- Wear your retainer regularly and come to us if you need it fixed.
Every cosmetic procedure will last longer and look better if you keep your good dental habits. So floss and brush regularly, and stick to your usual checkups and cleanings.
If you have any questions about maintaining your beautiful smile, ask us. We’d be happy to give you tips or a touch-up.
Thank you for being a valued patient of Dental Partners of Boston!