A SIMPLE SEARCH ON THE INTERNET will uncover thousands of do-it-yourself methods of teeth-whitening. This begs a couple of questions. One—does it work? And two—will this hurt my teeth?
We’ve had a lot of patients ask us about these kinds of things, so, as your Boston dental team, we wanted to weigh in on the discussion.
Does It Work?
First of all, yes, it’s true that acidic things like strawberries and lemons can lighten your teeth. However, that’s usually because they wear off the enamel of your teeth, taking surface stains with it. And in the long term, that actually makes your teeth LESS white.
What About At-Home Bleaching Kits?
Sometimes these are great options if you’re just looking for a little touch-up. However, we want to make sure that our patients are aware of the risks of at-home tooth bleaching.
1. Sensitivity– If you’ve had tooth sensitivity in the past, it’s very likely that you’ll experience it again with over-the-counter whitening products.
2. Gum irritation and damage– The peroxide formula can be an irritant to gums.
3. Unrealistic appearance– An over-bright, monochrome smile can look really fake. When we do in-office whitening, we create a natural, personalized look.
There Are Surprising Advantages To Consulting With Us Before Whitening
- Cleaning your teeth first will make a whitening “take” better.
- We’ll ensure that you don’t have decay that could lead to extreme sensitivity.
- We can help determine the causes of your stains, which will help you know which product will work best, and how you can prevent future stains.
We Offer Great Options For Professional Whitening
Do you have any questions about whitening, whether that’s at-home or in our office? Just ask us! We’re always happy to talk with you about your dental health!