If you suffer from dental anxiety, it would be hard to visit even the very best dentist in Boston. Phobias and anxiety about visiting the dentist are extremely common. An estimated 15% of the population would rather be anywhere else. For many, the thought of a dental visit can cause sleepless nights, a sick feeling, or even tears. If you experience dental phobia, you are not alone.
Many people who suffer from dental anxiety will only go in an extreme emergency, and even then put it off until the last minute. Unfortunately, this can cause your dental health to slowly decay, affecting your overall health as well. Those who avoid the dentist out of fear run a higher risk of tooth decay, gum disease, and even tooth loss.
Here at the Dental Partners of Boston, we strive to make every patient comfortable and ease any dental anxiety you may have. Our staff is ready to make your visit as smooth as we can. As much as possible, we will meet your requests to help you have a pleasant visit. We will:
- Address your fears, discussing what may be the causes and how we can help soothe them.
- Keep you informed throughout your visit, letting you know what will happen before it does, including warning you of any pain or discomfort that you may experience.
- Work with you to establish a “stop” signal (such as raising your hand, or tapping the dental chair) so that you remain in control of your care.
- Allow you to bring a friend to your, listen to music, bring in any objects, etc. to help you feel more comfortable or distract you from the procedure.
- Offer nitrous oxide to help you relax.
We understand that every patient is different, and we will work with you to help you overcome your specific fears. We are here to help you. Please don’t hesitate to let us know your specific concerns, and to ask a member of our staff for help. Contact us today to discuss your needs.