A STUDY DONE by the American Journal of Epidemiology concluded that drinking coffee may reduce the risk of oral and pharyngeal cancer. While this is good news for your oral health, coffee can still pose a threat to your smile.
To help you protect your smile—from decay and staining—your team here at Dental Partners of Boston has compiled the following lists of coffee-drinking tips.
To Lessen The Damaging Effects Of Coffee…
- Don’t sip coffee throughout the day. This limits the amount of time your teeth are exposed to harmful sugars. Going easy on cream and sugar can also help.
- Try eating fruit or plain yogurt, not a sugary donut or pastry, with your coffee.
- Rinse with water or brush your teeth with fluoridated toothpaste shortly after breakfast.
To Help Prevent/Deal With Staining…
- Limit the amount of time coffee touches your teeth. Drink with a straw and don’t swish the hot liquid around in your mouth.
- Try coffee made from Arabica beans which is supposed to stain less.
- Rinse with water and brush your teeth shortly after drinking your coffee.
- Don’t skip your regular dental visits! Scaling and polishing your teeth can help with stains.
- Talk to us about our whitening services<!
We know many people can’t start their day without a cup of jo. Just keep your smile in mind as you’re drinking. If you have any questions about coffee and its effects on your oral health, please feel free to call us.