How Do Dentures Feel In The Beginning?
Once you have worked with your Boston Prosthodontist to get your dentures in place you will probably notice how different they feel at first. This is completely normal and that can include some gum tenderness and a bigger increase in saliva in your mouth.
Typically you will need to schedule an additional appointment in a few weeks so that some adjustments can be made to help it fit better in your mouth and relieve any kind of pressure you might feel.
Remember, that it can sometimes take awhile to feel comfortable and become used to having the dentures in your mouth.
How Long Does It Take To Become Used To Your New Dentures?
Most patients adjust to having dentures within a few weeks, but there are a few things to consider as far as your comfort level. Such as having had other dental surgery such as teeth being extracted or gum disease treatment your gums are going to be more prone to irritation.
Every patient’s case is going to be unique, and it’s especially important to follow your Boston Prosthodontist’s recommendations for every step of the process. It is the best way to help you adjust to your new dentures and become more comfortable in your mouth.
How To Make The Transition To Dentures Easier
Below are a few recommendations from Dental Partners of Boston‘s Prosthodontists:
- Start by eating soft foods and slowly work towards smaller pieces of solid food. Try the best that you can to chew evenly on both sides of your mouth to prevent your denture from tipping on one side.
- For the first few weeks be extra careful with hot foods or any foods with a sharp edge.
- Reading or even singing a song out loud can help you feel more comfortable to speak. If your dentures start to make a clicking sound then speak or sing more slowly.
- Keep your denture and gum tissue clean with good oral hygiene habits at home.
- Schedule follow-up appointments for any adjustments that need to be made.
If you are considering dentures or are in need of dentures after having dental implants placed consider the experienced Boston Prosthodontists at Dental Partners of Boston. Schedule an appointment with us today!