HAVE YOU EVER EXPERIENCED bad breath? Don’t feel bad… we’ve all been there at one time or another. The team here at Dental Partners of Boston put together a few tips to help you win your battle against bad breath.
What Causes Bad Breath?
- Foods like garlic and onions may give you bad breath. In this case, brushing your teeth or using mouthwash can mask the smell…but it has to work its way out of your body before the smell goes fully away.
- Bad breath can be a sign of gum disease. Gum disease is caused by the built-up plaque on and around teeth. This bacteria can fill your mouth with toxins that can make breath smell. If gum disease is causing your bad breath, see us for treatment.
- Dry mouth is another cause of bad breath. Saliva plays a key role in cleaning your mouth. Saliva neutralizes acids and prevents plaque. Without saliva, bacteria thrives, and your breath suffers.
Get Rid Of It With These Tips
Have no fear! There are a few things you can do to keep the bad breath at bay.
- Practice good oral hygiene. Brush twice a day, floss and use mouth wash. Good oral hygiene will keep away plaque and prevent gum disease.
- Drink lots of water. Water will keep your mouth moist, stimulate saliva and wash food particles out.
- Chew sugarless gum. Chewing gum can not only mask the smell of foods like garlic, it also stimulates saliva production, which will also battle stinky breath.
If you are experiencing bad breath, come and talk to us! We can help you find the solution.