AT TIMES DENTISTRY can get pretty interesting. Here at Dental Partners of Boston, we’ve gathered some random, yet intriguing facts about the vast world of dentistry. Although some are educational, most are just outright bizarre!
Did You Know…
- We buy 14 million gallons of toothpaste every year.
- 3 out of 4 Americans have at least one cavity before their 18th birthday.
- Dental problems account for the loss of more than 51 million school hours each year.
- Certain cheeses including aged cheddar, swiss and monterey jack have been found to protect teeth from decay.
- Tooth enamel is the hardest and most mineralized substance in the body.
- The average human produces 25,000 quarts of saliva in a lifetime. That’s enough spit to fill 2 swimming pools.
- In 1994 a prison inmate in West Virginia braided dental floss into a rope, scaled the wall and escaped!
- Flossing once a day can increase your life expectancy by 6 years.
- A recent poll has shown that physicians, dentists and nurses were among the most trusted people in the United States.
- Kissing can aid in reducing tooth decay. This is because the extra saliva helps in keeping the mouth clean.
Yes, dentistry can be pretty strange at times, but that doesn’t stop us from loving what we do! Call and schedule an appointment with us today!