Partial Crowns: Inlays\Onlays
A partial crown is a type of dental restoration that is usually done for teeth that don’t require a dental crown, but are too damaged for a dental filling. At Dental Partners of Boston, we create natural partial crowns that are long-lasting, durable, and strong. Partial crowns are typically referred to as inlays and onlays.
When a filling isn't enough to address your problem but a crown is too much, Dental Partners of Boston offers custom dental inlays and onlays.
What is the Difference Between Inlays and Onlays?
Inlays are designed to fit into your tooth like a puzzle piece. The chewing surface between the cusps of the tooth is covered by a dental inlay. Onlays are similar to inlays except that they are used if one of the cusps of the tooth needs replacing.
How is the Procedure Performed?
By using advanced Cerec® 3 technology, Dental Partners of Boston is able to offer same visit partial crowns. The partial crown procedure is relatively quick and includes the following:
- Using porcelain, our dental team matches the shade of the partial crown to the coloration of your teeth.
- A numbing agent is used on the gums and tooth.
- The dentist prepares the tooth for the partial crown by cleaning the area and removing any materials that would impede the placement of the partial crown.
- With Cerec 3 technology, our dentist creates a partial crown that perfectly fits your tooth.
- The partial crown is permanently bonded to your tooth.
What are the Benefits to a Partial Crown?
- Dental Partners of Boston use porcelain in our partial crowns which helps reduce the risk of an allergic reaction since metal alloys aren’t used.
- Partial crowns can help prevent decay from reoccurring in the same tooth.
- Your natural tooth structure is kept mostly intact with a partial crown in comparison to the use of a regular dental crown.
- Since the porcelain used in your partial crown is unique to your tooth coloration, your smile will remain seamless and the partial crown will not stand out amongst the rest of your teeth.
- A tooth with a partial crown is better protected against further damage.
Make an Appointment
If you’re in need of a partial crown, please make an appointment with us today. If you have any questions about inlays, onlays, and partial crowns, Dental Partners of Boston is happy to answer them. We are committed to improving the smiles and oral health of our patients.